Built at the end of the 19th century, The Great Market Hall or Central Market Hall on Fővám Tér in the 9th district, is the largest and oldest indoor market in Budapest (Hungary). The idea of building such large market hall arose from the first mayor of Budapest, Károly Kamermayer, and it was his largest investment. He retired in 1896 so when the building was completed, he participated in the opening ceremony as a citizen.
It is located at the end of the famous pedestrian shopping street Váci utca and on the Pest side of the Liberty bridge. The building was designed and built by Samu Pecz around 1897. A distinctive architectural feature is the roof which was restored to have colorful Zsolnay tiling from Pécs. The area size of the building is 10,000 square meters, which is covered by steel structure. During the World Wars it was completely damaged and then closed for some years. Throughout the 1990s restoration works brought back the market to its ancient splendour. Te building was awarded with FIABCI Prix d’Excellence in 1999.